Fashioning the industry - Gramm response

As part of my 'fashioning the industry' PPP project, I have produced a logotype for Gramm. the Manchester-based fashion/street and techwear house. I included these below images in my recent studio practise crit but here's the information for my PPP blog.

The prospective work came about through a friend and LAU alumni who does 3D work for Gramm. He said they enjoyed my response and would be in touch but still nothing. I think in hindsight the response was too dated and needed some refining. Hopefully, I will work with Gramm in future and get another chance to innovate.


With regards to the Gramm. logotype I submitted as part of their competition. I showed the brand Instagram as well as a means of gauging how appropriate the identity was. The crit group appeared to agree with me that maybe it was a little too true to my calligraphic style and not digital enough for the brand in question. I think the dynamism of the type fits the fast pace of a streetwear brand but just in regards to the smoothed edges and plenty of curved forms perhaps the silhouette is too soft. I had a really quick go at editing the existing forms straight after the crit and this is what came out:


I think already the vibe of the logotype is changing and it's becoming more appropriate to a contemporary urban setting but of course, the changes do limit legibility a lot due to the repeated m. A bit more experimentation with this should sort it out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fashioning the industry - Rob Boyd

36 days of type - 9 FIN