Crit for S.O.D and Gramm. responses

Yesterday we had a crit on studio progress to assess where we are with relation to time plan and the ever-changing briefs. I started by talking about my plan to have 5 briefs near enough done by the end of the month and how it may no longer be so realistic but still possible. When discussing the ones that I have already nearly completed I was told by Nick that I should come up with my own specimen for brief 7 work with Joe, which is fair enough, so I need to have a think about the best way to present this asap.

I presented my progress on the now two full typefaces for the State of denial brief as well as showing the quick logotype I had mocked up for Gramm. and Olly and I showed updates to our end of year show branding. However, I said that EoYS would probably not be one of my final 10 depending on the outcome of the judge's decisions next week.

This type for S.O.D was received well with a fairly little comment other than it would be nice to see it applied. I need to wait for Joe to get back to me with his vision for the poster and his use of my typefaces, acronyms and runes. Pictures in situ at a gig would also be perfect, perhaps I could go down to London for the one in March and take pictures.


With regards to the Gramm. logotype I submitted as part of their competition. I showed the brand Instagram as well as a means of gauging how appropriate the identity was. The crit group appeared to agree with me that maybe it was a little too true to my calligraphic style and not digital enough for the brand in question. I think the dynamism of the type fits the fast pace of a streetwear brand but just in regards to the smoothed edges and plenty of curved forms perhaps the silhouette is too soft. I had a really quick go at editing the existing forms straight after the crit and this is what came out:


I think already the vibe of the logotype is changing and it's becoming more appropriate to a contemporary urban setting but of course, the changes do limit legibility a lot due to the repeated m. A bit more experimentation with this should sort it out.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fashioning the industry - Rob Boyd

36 days of type - 9 FIN