PPP New personal branding

Over the last few days, I've been working on a new aesthetic for my personal branding that moves away from my previous geometric, silhouette and better reflects the new direction of my craft. The previous logo has been in place since last year and doesn't reflect the calligraphic nature of my craft so it was a ripe time for a change. However, I do still enjoy the emphasis on structure and silhouette within my previous logo so maybe the is room for further abstraction of the new form. The previous logo below:





Another element I'm still keen on from the previous branding is the overlayed vector on an image as this gives a personal touch to something that otherwise and appear quite detached from the human interaction it is trying to portray. Drawn out with my calligraphy pen the new emblem is supposed to convey all three of my initials S F C. This is also part of a potential future move away from the name 'Sol Chadwick' to (for now) Sol Fox Chadwick. However, perhaps it's a bit wordy still and even Sol Fox or Solomon Fox could be better. Feedback has shown that C is the least prominent letter within the logotype anyway. Encompassing more than just my first initial in the motif makes it more expressive than the previous design and suits my current, elaborate, decorative style. The teal colourway is kept due to its contrast with any background image of myself and my personal interest with the colour. I have also started using some iconography that I would like to start making synonymous with the letterforms of the brand. The below wheatsheaf through clouds motif is appropriated from a gilded stamp I found on the front of a 1930s Dorsetshire dialect poetry book that belonged to my grandfather. That side of my family has a history in farming and I find some form of identification with the symbolism of a wheatsheaf so I think the rationale is there and the juxtaposition between the curvature of the cloud forms and hardline vectors of the wheat gives a nice visual metaphor for the way I place image and cursive type. 

Finally, on the proposal page, I sent to Alec in advance of me missing the upcoming branding crit due to my Berlin trip, I have selected an array of Instagram posts that showcase my practice and fit nicely with the updated branding. I am describing myself as a typographer and graphic designer in that order to best reflect where my interests lie. On the right-hand side of that sheet is an array of business card mockups. Although a little old fashioned the tangibility of the medium is a feature that increases the chances of a prospective employer contacting me. In a bid to not blend in with other business cards I would like to line draw them onto a thick circa 300gsm card stock using the vinyl cutter. This would portray my interest between the juxtaposition of the humanist touch of a typographers hand and coldness of machined and computer plotted type, whilst utilising a near completely free and innovative production method. There is also a key element of play and almost mock seriousness amongst my branding that looks towards the type of environment I would like to work in. Although the close-up shots of my face and shaking hands will probably be confined to Instagram alone they give a very human touch and show the tone work I can produce in contrast to the preconceived image of a meticulously boring and dry typographer.       





This stands in stark to contrast to my old old logo as well that I think I got rid of about a year ago now, a sign of how my style has developed and moved away from satisfying, modernist geometries into fluid forms that in my opinion show more originality and skill, characteristics that you would have hope I'd gained in the last year. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fashioning the industry - Rob Boyd

36 days of type - 9 FIN