COP3 proposal presentation and feedback

This afternoon we had our cop presentations so I put together this 12 slide presentation to accompany the script I wrote this week. Quickly it became apparent that doing the two activities in that order would result in some disjointedness between the very regimented script that answered all the questions we were given and the presentation slides which I felt had to in part be visually interesting. In the past I have added too much text to slides so I tried to really condense it down as many visuals as possible that would, in theory, jog my memory. I ended up not using the script at all really and although I may not have remembered some of the official names for types of analysis etc the overall flow of the presentation wasn't bad.

With regards to feedback, the main positive was probably the practical idea and contact established with the fashion industry. It was also agreed that it's a workable topic and playing the divide between form and function could be both visually and contextually interesting. However, the main problem as I might have expected was the wording of the topic on the first slide and therefore the actually question in general. I need to work out a better way of saying the relationship that shall be explored and make it into a more direct question instead of a statement. Gestalt was widely agreed as being a good theory, to sum up the holistics of type design so I think there are a lot of positives to build on in the coming weeks as I start writing. I think just, in general, I need to brush up on my knowledge and work out the essay plan before I'm ready to start. This session also gave me the green light to contact Emanuele again and sort out a meeting date as soon as possible in London.    

An opportunity to discuss the increasing relationship between the average person and typography 

Some more detailed questions on my general hypothesis - need to find a middle ground between these and the topic headline

An example of globalisations effects on logotypes as we progress towards one universal visual language within fashion branding

discussing cultural impact on perception of typographic forms and the considerations I must make

The main theory to be discussed and referred back to when considering form throughout the essay

Discussing the types of secondary research methods that will be employed

Discussing the attempt to contact Peter Saville  for comment on the current trend around the grotesque movement within fashion logotypes as first-hand research 

collaboration/client work for Emanuele Piarulli



Target dates



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fashioning the industry - Rob Boyd

36 days of type - 9 FIN